(Ann Arbor, MI)
We're looking for a strong Visual Designer to join a mighty, 5-person User Experience team. This individual should be an exceptional web designer, a master of detail, and have an excellent understanding of both front-end development and brand strategy.
The Senior Visual Designer will be part of the User Experience Design team located in downtown Ann Arbor. However, travel to the east coast to be part of the Marketing & Communications team in downtown NYC will be necessary up to 20% of the time. This position will start as a contract position but is intended to convert to permanent full-time in 2012.
What we do.
ITHAKA User Experience is responsible for delivering an exceptional online research experience to librarians, publishers, and end-users. The team comprises individuals who are passionate about design, research, marketing, and technology, and who believe that collaboration, communication, and a healthy dose of fun are the tenets of success. We are experts on user studies, wireframes, and design.
What you’ll do.
Principally, the Senior Visual Designer uses color, typography, and form to solve user experience challenges for the JSTOR (www.jstor.org) platform. You will collaborate with partners in marketing, product management, and software development to deliver design styles, approaches, and visualizations that are innovative and user-friendly. You will consult metrics, testing, and market and user research to inform our unique design, and transition seamlessly between discussions about the role of visual design in our organization. You’ll be establishing a program of visual design and developing strong collaborative relationships with UX mavens, Brand gurus, and UI development wizards.
- define design guidelines and see projects to their completion.
- demonstrate in your portfolio the impeccable sensibility for color and composition of an expert-level web design specialist.
- can clearly articulate design decisions and gracefully handle negotiation
- are able to position design within product identity goals.
- understand the value of aesthetic restraint and simplicity, but can design in a range of styles, from modern to cartoon, button glass to flat retro.
- manage the balance of form and function in your designs.
- thrive in demanding environments, managing multiple projects and shifting priorities.
- collaborate well with teams, but possess the initiative and professionalism to work independently.
- welcome honest, candid feedback.
- exhibit a user-centric design approach and think of data and testing as allies in creating the best possible user experience.
- work with the Adobe Creative Suite, and have experience with Agile development processes.
- work iteratively and thoughtfully in pursuit of the most user-friendly design solution.
- recognize that true communication is equal parts listening and talking.
- understand the intersection of commerce and design and believe that business objectives are met through meaningful user experiences.
ITHAKA (www.ithaka.org) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping the academic community use digital technology to preserve the scholarly record and advance research and teaching in sustainable ways. ITHAKA provides innovative services that benefit higher education including JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R. ITHAKA is headquartered in New York, NY with offices in Ann Arbor, MI and Princeton, NJ.
Apply: Interested in joining the team? To apply for this position please submit your resume, cover letter and salary recommendations to:http://tbe.taleo.net/NA2/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ITHAKA&cws=1&rid=110 ITHAKA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.